How my year is going, be it bad or good, how my year is going.

Monday, June 23, 2008

On the road again

Off to face the world of dirty people driving dirty cars in all kinds of places around this end of the state.  I've done it before, just for a few days here and there, but it becomes official tomorrow.  
Sure, right now it's great because the weather is nice, I get to drive through some really nice areas and some of the roads are just fun to drive on.  I've been a driver for a long time.

When I was in high school, I would go out for a drive and have no idea where I was going.  I would make lefts and rights without thinking about it what so ever.  I once found a really cool abandoned strip mine, there is a small town in Ohio that has a log cabin for the post office and the countless "roller coaster" hills are great fun.

The past of just driving lead me to one job that I had that people don't believe that I had, and was good at.  I was a repo man.  If you look at me, you would never guess that I stole cars legally.  (okay, so it really isn't stealing)  I went for the interview, met with the c.e.o. of the very successful business, and was asked why I would be good for the job.  I recanted the story of going out for drives without maps and that was part of the reason i got the job.  

Repo'ing is boring accentuated by moments of pure adrenaline. Driving for 4 hours to find a truck in the middle of a junk yard surrounded by disabled junkers with a man who could only be a viking (about 6'10, no less than 300lbs and a red beard down to mid chest) walking toward you.  You can panic, act like an ass, be "mr. toughguy"  or talk the guy into moving the junkers and giving up the keys.  I like talking people out of their cars when I had to, preferred to just hop in and take it.  

I've taken cars from small town convenience stores, from back in some woods, out of garages and from a parking space only about 2 ft from where the debtor was eating dinner.  I've had people threaten me with big dogs, handled with gum, threaten me with rakes, apparently I was leafy that day, and knives, cops involved with that on.

No, I get to be on the road again and I just hope there are no knives involved this time around.  I don't think it there will be knives, just car salesmen unhappy that I'm not there to buy anything.

No comments: